POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Reading the values of a object-parameter : Re: Reading the values of a object-parameter Server Time
2 May 2024 12:56:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reading the values of a object-parameter
From: Oliver Jaxid
Date: 30 Aug 2003 12:27:34
Message: <3f50d076$1@news.povray.org>
Oliver Jaxid wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
>> In article <3f50c242@news.povray.org> , Oliver Jaxid
>> <mai### [at] finniqcom>  wrote:
>>

>>> ok, ok, i am wrong
>>> (i 've readed the faq's now)
>>

>> No problem.
>>

>>> but i'am not the only one. minimum 50% of all articles in this group
>>> then are beeing wrong placed cause not about pov-source-programming. and
>>> this was the ground why i've posted here. so, i think that the names of
>>> the groups for pov-news-noobs are a little bit diffuse.
>>

>> Indeed you have identified the biggest problem in this group.  While
>> there
>> are only about 10% of misplaced articles those tend to attract more
>> unrelated articles as those who post new articles don't read whole
>> thread of
>> the misplaced articles.  Somebody will eventually point out people are in
>> the wrong group, but the "problem" is that many people are "only" helpful
>> and forget to mention that it is the wrong group.  Thus, the first post
>> saying someone is in the wrong group ends up being reply being number
>> 1042852, which nobody who makes a new posts reads :-(
>>
>> The alternative would be to remove all misplaced articles, but then some
>> good questions and answers to them would be lost.
>>
>> That said, many have suggested to rename this group many times, but
>> over all
>> these years nobody ever came up with a better and still _short_ name...
>>
>>     Thorsten

>> Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
>> e-mail: tho### [at] trfde
>>
>> Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org
>

> another alternative will be the complete renaming of the actual groupnames
>
> (it's just an idea ;-), i know that i'am sometimes to taff ;-))
>
> something like:
>
> povray.programing => povray.binaries.developement
> povray.programing.binaries => povray.binaries.developement.extensions
>
> and the group povray.general should be splitted in
>
> povray.common
> povray.sdl
> povray.sdl.developement
>
> why? 2 facts
>
> 1. if developers (like me too) talk about loops, variables, functions,
> objects aso. they think about programming and i think that this is one
> of the problems for the misplacements in the group 'povray.programming'
>
> 2. the most visitors here need help about sdl/sdl-programming. only a
> few c/c++ experts like to talk about pov-source-developing. so, i think
> it's a questions of name-psychology too
>
> oliver

here my suggestion if the names are to long:

povray.common           => just for real common questions
(like the futures, plannings, parties, wishlist aso.)

povray.sdl.XXX          => for pov-sdl-questions (common)
povray.sdl.devel        => for pov-sdl-questions (developers)

povray.src.XXX     	=> for pov-source-questions (common)
povray.src.extension   	=> for pov-source-questions (extension)

povray.bin.XXX     	=> for pov-binary-questions (common)
povray.bin.windows     	=> for pov-binary-questions (windows)
povray.bin.linux     	=> for pov-binary-questions (linux)